Akron Criminal Defense Attorneys
Experienced Criminal Defense in Akron, OH
When people have been arrested or formally charged with a crime, they call Patituce & Associates, LLC—the most effective and aggressive criminal defense lawyers in Akron, OH. Our Akron defense attorneys are well known among prosecutors and police officers alike for our bold (but proven) challenges to evidence gathered against our clients. As former prosecutors, we know where the prosecution has hidden the weaknesses in their case against you. Perhaps they’re hoping no one will challenge the legality of the traffic stop, or compare the arresting officer’s testimony to the dash cam footage. Whatever the case may be, we’ll use it to pressure the prosecution into reducing your charges or dropping them altogether.
The modern criminal justice system relies on pressuring defendants into accepting plea deals—even if a case would never hold up in court. Plea deals prop up a prosecutor’s career statistics while ensuring the court docket stays clear. But while plea deals are advantageous for only a small number of defendants, between 95 and 98% of all cases never see trial, and plenty of defense firms advise their clients to plea rather than take a risk on trial. Our Akron criminal defense lawyers, on the other hand, have tried more than 200 cases before a jury. Our trial experience is a competitive advantage, allowing us to win results our clients never thought possible.
Ohio Penalties for Criminal Offenses
The Ohio criminal justice system imposes harsh penalties for criminal conviction. Both felonies and misdemeanors carry the potential for incarceration and/or fines. Additionally, some crimes have other sanctions attached to them, such as driver’s license suspension for a DUI or sex offender registry for a sex offense.
The penalties you can face depend on the type of crime you are charged with, your criminal history, and the specific factors of your case.
Potential punishments include, but are not limited to:
- Heavy fines
- Prison or jail terms
- Community service
Criminal Defense Services for a Variety of Charges
We provide tenacious representation for an array of criminal charges. From violent crimes like assault and domestic violence to financial and white collar crimes, our Akron criminal defense lawyers can guide you through the court system. We stay updated on federal and state laws regarding criminal sentencing and prosecution. We will work hard to determine an effective legal strategy for your case. We know the importance of thorough preparation. That is why we will communicate with you and adequately prepare your case for trial. At our firm, we are well-versed in both felony and misdemeanor crimes and federal offenses.
Representation for the following cases is available:
- Arson: Ohio Revised Code § 2909.03 prohibits causing a fire or explosion that could harm a person’s property without their consent or causing a fire or explosion to one’s own or someone else’s property to commit fraud.
- DUI: Referred to as operating a vehicle while under the influence in ORC § 4511.19, DUI involves driving a car while impaired by alcohol and/or drugs or while blood alcohol concentration was 0.08 or higher.
- Federal offenses: The United States Code lists federal crimes, such as murder, tax fraud, tax evasion, drug crimes, child pornography, and weapons crimes.
- Sex crimes: Offenses under this category are those involving sexual acts, such as rape (ORC § 2907.02), sexual battery (ORC § 2907.03), unlawful sexual conduct with a minor (ORC § 2907.04), or public indecency (ORC § 2907.09).
- Theft offenses: Generally, theft consists of depriving a person of their property without their permission. The penalties for theft increase as the value of the property increases.
- Traffic tickets: Police officers can issue citations for various alleged violations, such as speeding (ORC § 4511.21), texting while driving (ORC § 4511.204), running a red light (ORC § 4511.12), or operating a vehicle without valid insurance (ORC § 4509.01). Paying the fine for a ticket is an admission of guilt. It can result in points assessed to a person’s driver’s license, which could lead to a suspension of driving privileges.
- Child pornography: State and federal laws prohibit anyone from accessing, possessing, making, or distributing visual depictions of one or more minors performing sexual activities. Read more about federal child pornography charges.
- Drug crimes: Offenses include, but are not limited to, possession (ORC § 2925.11), trafficking or aggravated trafficking (ORC § 2925.03), manufacturing controlled substances or cultivating marijuana (ORC § 2925.04), and possession of drug paraphernalia (ORC § 2925.12).
- Homicide: A person can be charged with homicide for unlawfully taking another individual’s life. Examples of crimes include murder (ORC § 2903.02), aggravated murder (ORC § 2903.01), voluntary manslaughter (ORC § 2903.03), involuntary manslaughter (ORC § 2903.04), negligent homicide (ORC § 2903.05), reckless homicide (ORC § 2903.41), or aggravated vehicular manslaughter (ORC § 2903.06).
- Juvenile crimes: A child’s case may be processed through a juvenile justice system focused on rehabilitation and treatment, but an unfavorable finding can still adversely impact their future. In some situations, minors can be tried as adults and face criminal penalties.
- Weapons charges: Under state and federal laws, firearms offenses include unlawful possession or discharge of guns. In many cases, these crimes are tied to other offenses like drug trafficking or murder, resulting in enhanced penalties.
Arrested for DUI in Akron?
If you are facing charges for drunk driving in Ohio, you may be subject to harsh penalties, including driver’s license suspension, fines, jail time, and more. You might have failed a breathalyzer or field sobriety test, but you can still fight your charges. Though your case may seem hopeless, with the experienced representation of an Akron DUI attorney on your side, your rights and freedom can be protected. At Patituce & Associates, we are here to fight for you after an OVI arrest.
Possible defenses for your DUI charge include, but are not limited to:
- Reason you were stopped: There must have been probable cause for pulling an individual over. If the allegations are not evident, it can be challenged.
- Why you were subjected to a sobriety test: If there was no reasonable suspicion of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and the defendant was removed from the car, all steps after this can be challenged.
- Challenging field sobriety testing: If a test was not administered properly, they could be challenged.
Defenses for Your Criminal Charges in Akron, OH
A common mistake is when individuals decide that an attorney is unnecessary or they cannot afford proper representation. You need an Akron criminal defense lawyer on your side! Our legal team will investigate the situation and gather evidence to build your case.
Evidence may include:
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Witness statements
- Pictures or videos of the incident
Do I Need a Criminal Defense Attorney in Akron?
Sometimes when people are charged with crimes, they believe that they can forgo legal representation. As it is, the case seems straightforward, and simply presenting the facts will help the judge or jury make a just decision, right? Not necessarily. Criminal cases are complex, and ensuring that your voice is heard requires telling your side of the story compellingly. Doing that takes skill and knowledge of the justice system that comes from years of training and experience.
That's why you need a defense lawyer to help with your case.
At Patituce & Associates, our Akron criminal attorneys have over 70 years of combined experience and have tried over 200 jury trials. We know what needs to be done to pursue favorable outcomes for our clients. Our team will put our talents and resources to work for you.
How Do I Hire a Lawyer Who’s Right for Me?
When looking for a criminal defense lawyer in Akron, you might be overwhelmed by your choices. So how do you choose the best one? That’s a matter of interviewing potential lawyers and retaining the services of the firm that feels like a good fit.
Some of the factors you might consider when deciding on legal representation include:
- The firm’s response time: You want a team on your side that promptly returns your calls or emails.
- The attorney’s approach: Ask questions about how they will handle your case and how they have handled similar cases in the past. Be wary of a lawyer who promises results, though. No attorney can guarantee any outcome.
- The attorney’s focus: Criminal cases are personal and can profoundly affect your life. Your potential lawyer should be concerned about protecting your rights and future and should be able to articulate a strategic plan for doing so.
- Your level of comfort with the firm: Discussing your situation is sensitive. The firm you hire should be able to create a space where you feel comfortable talking about your circumstances.
Our Akron criminal attorneys are passionate about helping people through difficult times in their lives. We value integrity and honesty and hold ourselves to a high standard when defending those charged with crimes. We offer a no-cost consultation and are ready to discuss your case and legal options.
How Can a Criminal Defense Attorney in Akron, OH Help Me?
A criminal defense attorney will be able to guide you through each step of the way and will fight to protect your rights and your future.
A criminal defense attorney will help you by:
- Providing you with important legal counsel: Having access to objective legal counsel is extremely valuable. Your lawyer will be there to guide you through each step of the way and help ensure that you avoid making any costly mistakes.
- Serving as a support system: Not only will your criminal defense attorney help to protect your rights and your future, but he or she can also serve as a great support system for you during this challenging time.
- Protecting your future: Your lawyer will thoroughly examine your case and available evidence, and create a powerful defense strategy that will help to protect your rights and your future. Your criminal defense attorney will know the ins and outs of the legal system and criminal law and will provide you with important guidance that will help to protect you and your reputation.
- Examining your case: A thorough examination and evaluation of your case and the available evidence is critical for creating a strong defense strategy. Your lawyer will conduct an in-depth case evaluation, and inform you of all of the legal options available to you at this time.
- Fierce representation: Your criminal defense lawyers will be there to represent you in the courtroom and fight on your behalf to protect your rights and negotiate sentencing or alternative sentencing options.
Have you been charged with a crime? Don’t wait—contact our criminal defense attorneys in Akron, Ohio, and let us help protect your rights, your future, and your reputation. Schedule a free consultation with our lawyers today, or contact us to learn more about what we can do to help you. We are available to answer all of your questions, and guide and support you during this difficult time.
Efficient Legal Assistance for the Criminally Charged in Akron, OH
If you have been arrested and charged with a crime, Patituce & Associates can help. We know you are going through a stressful and frustrating time and will use our experience to uphold your rights throughout the process. A conviction will not only put a permanent mark on your criminal record, but it may also disrupt your life and result in severe consequences. Our Akron criminal defense lawyers will talk with you to understand your situation and conduct a meticulous investigation to prepare for trial. We have guided numerous clients to successful outcomes. We will do our best to provide personal representation as you seek a beneficial result.
- Choosing the Best Criminal Defense Attorney
- Preparing for Your First Criminal Court Appearance
- Can Police Body Camera Footage Help Criminal Defense Cases?