Criminal Defense Attorney Akron, Ohio
Are You Facing Criminal Charges in Ohio?
At Patituce & Associates, we provide thorough legal services to clients. The decision to hire a defense attorney is a crucial one. If you have been charged with a crime, our Akron criminal defense lawyers can discuss your options for reducing or dropping the charges. We are passionate about upholding the rights of our clients in court and will work tirelessly on your behalf as we seek a favorable outcome. Our team never settles for less than excellence. Whatever your situation, our firm can provide informative legal assistance.
Ohio Penalties for Criminal Offenses
The Ohio criminal justice system imposes harsh penalties on those convicted of crimes. Both felonies and misdemeanors carry the potential for incarceration and/or fines. Additionally, some crimes have other sanctions attached to them, such as driver’s license suspension for a DUI or sex offender registry for a sex offense.
The penalties you can face depend on the type of crime you are charged with, your criminal history, and the specific factors of your case.
Potential punishments include, but are not limited to:
- Heavy fines
- Prison or jail terms
- Community service
Criminal Defense Services for a Variety of Charges
We provide tenacious representation for an array of criminal charges. From violent crimes like assault and domestic violence to financial and white collar crimes, our Akron criminal defense lawyers can guide you through the court system. We stay updated on federal and state laws regarding criminal sentencing and prosecution. We will work hard to determine an effective legal strategy for your case. We know the importance of thorough preparation. That is why we will communicate with you and adequately prepare your case for trial
At our firm, we are well-versed in both felony and misdemeanor crimes and federal offenses.
Representation for the following cases is available:
- Arson: Ohio Revised Code § 2909.03 prohibits causing a fire or explosion that could harm a person’s property without their consent or causing a fire or explosion to one’s own or someone else’s property to commit fraud.
- DUI: Referred to as operating a vehicle while under the influence in ORC § 4511.19, DUI involves driving a car while impaired by alcohol and/or drugs or while blood alcohol concentration was 0.08 or higher.
- Federal offenses: The United States Code lists federal crimes, such as murder, tax fraud, tax evasion, drug crimes, child pornography, and weapons crimes.
- Sex crimes: Offenses under this category are those involving sexual acts, such as rape (ORC § 2907.02), sexual battery (ORC § 2907.03), unlawful sexual conduct with a minor (ORC § 2907.04), or public indecency (ORC § 2907.09).
- Theft offenses: Generally, theft consists of depriving a person of their property without their permission. The penalties for theft increase as the value of the property increases.
- Traffic tickets: Police officers can issue citations for various alleged violations, such as speeding (ORC § 4511.21), texting while driving (ORC § 4511.204), running a red light (ORC § 4511.12), or operating a vehicle without valid insurance (ORC § 4509.01). Paying the fine for a ticket is an admission of guilt. It can result in points assessed to a person’s driver’s license, which could lead to a suspension of driving privileges.
- Child pornography: State and federal laws prohibit anyone from accessing, possessing, making, or distributing visual depictions of one or more minors performing sexual activities. Read more about federal child pornography charges.
- Drug crimes: Offenses include, but are not limited to, possession (ORC § 2925.11), trafficking or aggravated trafficking (ORC § 2925.03), manufacturing controlled substances or cultivating marijuana (ORC § 2925.04), and possession of drug paraphernalia (ORC § 2925.12).
- Homicide: A person can be charged with homicide for unlawfully taking another individual’s life. Examples of crimes include murder (ORC § 2903.02), aggravated murder (ORC § 2903.01), voluntary manslaughter (ORC § 2903.03), involuntary manslaughter (ORC § 2903.04), negligent homicide (ORC § 2903.05), reckless homicide (ORC § 2903.41), or aggravated vehicular manslaughter (ORC § 2903.06).
- Juvenile crimes: A child’s case may be processed through a juvenile justice system focused on rehabilitation and treatment, but an unfavorable finding can still adversely impact their future. In some situations, minors can be tried as adults and face criminal penalties.
- Weapons charges: Under state and federal laws, firearms offenses include unlawful possession or discharge of guns. In many cases, these crimes are tied to other offenses like drug trafficking or murder, resulting in enhanced penalties.
Arrested for DUI in Akron?
If you are facing charges for drunk driving in Ohio, you may be subject to harsh penalties, including driver’s license suspension, fines, time in jail, and more. You might have failed a breathalyzer or field sobriety test, but that does not automatically mean a conviction. Though your case may seem hopeless, with the experienced representation of an Akron DUI attorney on your side, your rights and freedom can be protected. At Patituce & Associates, we are here to fight for you after an OVI arrest.
Possible defenses for your DUI charge include, but are not limited to:
- Reason you were stopped: There must have been probable cause for pulling an individual over. If the allegations are not evident, it can be challenged.
- Why you were pulled out of the vehicle for a sobriety test: If there was no reasonable suspicion of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and the defendant was removed from the car, all steps after this can be challenged.
- Challenging field sobriety testing: If a test was not administered properly, they could be challenged.
Defenses for Your Criminal Charges in Akron, OH
A common mistake is when individuals decide that an attorney is unnecessary or they cannot afford proper representation. You need an Akron criminal defense lawyer on your side! Our legal team will investigate the situation and gather evidence to build your case.
Evidence may include:
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Witness statements
- Pictures or videos of the incident
Do I Need a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Sometimes when people are charged with crimes, they believe that they can forgo legal representation. As it is, the case seems straightforward, and simply presenting the facts will help the judge or jury make a just decision, right? Not necessarily.
Criminal cases are complex, and ensuring that your voice is heard requires telling your side of the story compellingly. Doing that takes skill and knowledge of the justice system that comes from years of training and experience. Therefore, you need a defense lawyer to help with your case.
At Patituce & Associates, our Akron criminal attorneys have over 70 years of combined experience and have tried over 200 jury trials. We know what needs to be done to pursue favorable outcomes for our clients. Our team will put our talents and resources to work for you.
How Do I Hire a Lawyer Who’s Right for Me?
When looking for a criminal defense lawyer in Akron, you might be overwhelmed by your choices. So how do you choose the best one? That’s a matter of interviewing potential lawyers and retaining the services of the firm that feels like a good fit.
Some of the factors you might consider when deciding on legal representation include:
- The firm’s response time: You want a team on your side that promptly returns your calls or emails.
- The attorney’s approach: Ask questions about how they will handle your case and how they have handled similar cases in the past. Be wary of a lawyer who promises results, though. No attorney can guarantee any outcome.
- The attorney’s focus: Criminal cases are personal and can profoundly affect your life. Your potential lawyer should be concerned about protecting your rights and future and should be able to articulate a strategic plan for doing so.
- Your level of comfort with the firm: Discussing your situation is sensitive. The firm you hire should be able to create a space where you feel comfortable talking about your circumstances.
Our Akron criminal attorneys are passionate about helping people through difficult times in their lives. We value integrity and honesty and hold ourselves to a high standard when defending those charged with crimes. We offer a no-cost consultation and are ready to discuss your case and legal options.
Efficient Legal Assistance for the Criminally Charged in Akron, OH
If you have been arrested and charged with a crime, Patituce & Associates can help. We know you are going through a stressful and frustrating time and will use our experience to uphold your rights throughout the process. A conviction will not only put a permanent mark on your criminal record, but it may also disrupt your life and result in severe consequences. Our Akron criminal defense lawyers will talk with you to understand your situation and conduct a meticulous investigation to prepare for trial. We have guided numerous clients to successful outcomes. We will do our best to provide personal representation as you seek a beneficial result.