Cleveland Sex Crime Attorneys
Ohio Sex Crime Laws
Sex crime allegations carry incredibly painful penalties in the criminal and civil realm, but also can have a profound impact upon your personal life if you are labeled a sex offender. The mere accusation that you have committed a sex offense can result in you losing your job, your home, and even family members. The Cleveland sex crime attorneys at Patituce & Associates know how important this is, and we are ready to help.
Common Types of Sex Crimes in Ohio
- 2907.02 - Rape
- 2907.03 - Sexual battery
- 2907.04 - Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor
- 2907.05 - Gross sexual imposition
- 2907.06 - Sexual imposition
- 2907.07 - Importuning
- 2907.08 - Voyeurism
- 2907.09 - Public indecency
- 2907.19 - Commercial sexual exploitation of a minor
- 2907.21 - Compelling prostitution
- 2907.22 - Promoting prostitution
- 2907.23 - Enticement or solicitation to patronize a prostitute; procurement of a prostitute for another
- 2907.28 - Payment for medical examination and test of any victim or accused
- 2907.31 - Disseminating matter harmful to juveniles
- 2907.311 - Displaying matter harmful to juveniles
- 2907.32 - Pandering obscenity
- 2907.321 - Pandering obscenity to a minor
- 2907.322 - Pandering sexually oriented matter involving a minor
- 2907.323 - Illegal use of minor in nudity-oriented material or performance
- 2907.33 - Deception to obtain matter harmful to juveniles
- 2907.34 - Compelling acceptance of objectionable materials
- 2907.38 - Permitting unlawful operation of viewing booths depicting sexual conduct
- 2907.39 - Permitting juvenile on premises of adult entertainment establishment; use of false information to gain entry
- 2907.40 - Illegally operating a sexually oriented business
Ohio Sex Crime Penalties
If convicted of a sex offense in Ohio, you may face the following penalties:
- Required sex offender registration
- Court fees
In Ohio, a sex offense can range from misdemeanors to felonies. You will face a jail or prison sentence, depending on the degree of the misdemeanor or felony, it could be between 30 days in jail for a fourth-degree misdemeanor up to 11 years in prison for a first-degree felony.
The following are the degrees in which sex offenses can be categorized:
- Fourth-degree misdemeanor
- Third-degree misdemeanor
- Second-degree misdemeanor
- First-degree misdemeanor
- Fifth-degree felony
- Fourth-degree felony
- Third-degree felony
- Second-degree felony
- First-degree felony
Sex Offender Registry in Cleveland, Ohio
An innocent mistake can lead to life-long implications. Your focus may, understandably, be squarely on potential prison time, or the fact that you have been deceived by the alleged “victim”. If you are convicted, you face long-term consequences that require sex offender registration in Ohio, even if convicted of a misdemeanor. Many sexual-oriented crimes in Ohio carry mandatory reporting requirements. This means you would be required to report your home and work address to the local sheriff.
In Ohio, there are three categories for sex offender registration, these are tiers that determine how often you must register with the local sheriff and how long this requirement may last:
- Tier I – requires registration with local law enforcement for 15 years once a year; after 10 years the offender can petition to be removed.
- Tier II – requires registration with local law enforcement every 180 days for the next 25 years.
- Tier III – the most severe requiring the offender to report to local law enforcement every 90 days for life.
Therefore, you should consult with an attorney who knows what they are doing. Even if we choose not to take your case, we will refer you to someone who can help you.
Charges for Unlawful Sexual Conduct with a Minor in Ohio
As ex-prosecutors, we are acutely aware of the life-altering ramifications of a conviction for having sex with a minor. With over 150 jury trials and a success rate of 95%, we can properly discern your defenses to ensure you are in the best possible position. With our combined approach, you can be sure that you will be in the best possible position to minimize not only your life-long reporting requirements but also the short-term consequences through acquittal.
The Importance of Working with an Experienced (& Honest!) Lawyer
A recent conversation with a mother and daughter reminded us of how important it is to everyday people that attorneys be completely honest and straightforward with their potential clients. A daughter called us to ask whether or not we could help them as her father had just been arrested in a suburb near Cleveland by what seemed like half of the county's police force. This was shocking, scary, and completely overwhelming for her and her mother. Having a nice sales pitch is always nice, but it is more important to be honest with clients.
The first attorney that the people above spoke to promised everything-but was sparse on facts. The attorney stated he could deliver an acquittal on one of the most complex cases to defend: a sex crime against children. These cases are very winnable, and defensible if you have experience handling them. When pressed for his resume, or experience, the mother and daughter quickly found out that he was just a salesman with a few gimmicks. Avoid at all costs attorneys that make promises outside of how hard they will work for you.
We have seen firsthand the impact an attorney can have on a case's outcome. Hiring a Cleveland criminal defense lawyer can make the difference between prison and probation or freedom. A sex crime carries with it the possibility of life in prison and the possibility that even a misdemeanor conviction can result in years of public registration as a sex offender.
Client accused of rape and sexual misconduct. Through our efforts client
avoided being charged. Client was able to put matter behind him.
Result: No Charges!
We Believe in Three Principles
- Some of the people who are charged with these crimes are innocent and deserving of our time, energy, and help.
- Some of these people are guilty of actually committing a crime of some kind but are not guilty of what they are charged.
- Some people are guilty of the crime they are accused of but deserve defense from the government who seeks decades of prison time.
If you would like to see how our firm can help, contact our Cleveland sex crimes lawyers today. We can be reached at (440) 709-8088.
Do Not Speak to Police: Speak to Us First About Any Sexual Offense Charge
Many individuals believe that if they speak to the police and explain their side of the story, they will be able to avoid being charged with a sex crime. This is typically not the case and, in our experience as defense attorneys defending people charged with these common types of sex crimes, we have found that most people convict themselves before they are even charged with a sex offense. There may be times when it is in your best interest to speak to the police; however, you should always consult with a Cleveland sex crime attorney before making a formal statement. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you.
Speaking with an attorney will help you understand what you are facing as far as criminal or civil sanctions. For instance, a rape conviction carries with it a prison sentence between 3 and 10 years. It will also result in you being labeled, and forced to register, as a Tier III sex offender. This will require you to register every 90 days for the rest of your life even if you move outside of Ohio. Because of the severity of these risks, it is important that you select a qualified defense lawyer to defend you from any allegation of rape or other sexual allegation.
Criminal Defense for Sex Crimes in the Cleveland Area
We find that one of the more daunting tasks for clients charged with a sex crime is finding an attorney who:
- Is experienced enough to handle the case; and
- Makes the client comfortable with the representation.
If you have been charged with a sex crime in Ohio, you need to hire an attorney who focuses heavily on those types of cases. It is important that you defend yourself by hiring the most experienced attorney whom you can also feel comfortable with Almost all sex crimes carry mandatory prison time-and some even carry the possibility of life in prison. On top of this, almost all sex crimes have a mandatory sex offender reporting requirement.
If you are serious about defending yourself from sex-related charges in Cleveland, call us at (440) 709-8088. The call is strictly confidential. We promise that we will treat you with the respect and dignity that you deserve.
Call (440) 709-8088 to set up a free consultation concerning your case with our Cleveland sex crime lawyers.
We Offer No-Cost, Confidential Phone Consultations.
Our Team Has Over 70 Years of Combined Experience.
Our Lead Attorney Is A Board Certified Criminal Trial Attorney.
Our Attorneys Have Taken Cases to Jury Trials Over 200 Times.
We Are the Firm Other Attorneys, Police & Prosecutors Turn To.
We Are Available 24/7.